Satellite Imagery Analysis for Population Modeling
Summer 2017 Internship
Vanu’s mission is to provide wireless coverage for people and places that don’t have coverage today. By combining innovation in technology and business, Vanu can provide economically viable coverage in areas even where people can only afford to spend $1 per month on their cell phone service. The company grew out of groundbreaking research in software radio at MIT and was founded in 1998. It is the developer of the Anywave® Base Station, the first U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC)-certified software radio.
As part of an ever-expanding vision to bring access to the last billion, Vanu Inc. has focused on connecting the unconnected and taking the possibility of global development to new heights in rural Africa.
Understanding population distributions in rural communities, many residing in countries lacking the analogue of a census bureau, is a critical component of network planning and design. Unfortunately, reliable data is seldom available and highly coveted by an array of global interests. The Summer 2017 SIAPM project will develop a basic machine-learning approach to population modeling using real-word satellite imagery and computer vision techniques.
– strong mathematics background, a willingness to learn and apply new ideas
– comfortable scripting in Python ideally having experience with OpenCV
– BS/MS certified in CS/Mathematics or related field
– experience with or an interest in machine learning
– experience with front end web design a plus
– enjoys the company of brilliant motivated colleagues
– excited for the prospect of revolutionizing the global telecom industry
Vanu, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If interested, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!